In the infamous words of Alice Cooper…..schools out for Summer!! No more school run, no more missing pencil cases, no more cry’s of ‘where is my sports kit / recorder / packed lunch / homework’ – tick as appropriate!
You’ve made it through the school year and now you have a long, hot (hopefully!) Summer trying to think up activities to keep everyone happy – including you! Whether you are a working parent, or a stay-at-home parent, it pays to plan ahead if you can. Lots of the activities we talk about are suitable for children with additional needs or learning difficulties. Be led by your child’s imagination – and of course the weather!
MyLiferaft have a great section in their Resources for ideas and suggestions to help you through the next few weeks, however here are a few more to add to the list!
- Have a Mini-Masterchef competition and make sure you include tidying up as part of the end result!
- Create some puppets out of old socks and let the children make up a puppet show for you
- If the weather is not so great, pull the curtains, get out the pop-corn and have a movie afternoon at home
- If you have a garden, vegetable plot or allotment, get the children to help with the digging, weeding and collecting your harvest
- Use the internet to find what you have in your kitchen to make up science experiments (this one is a favourite with one of the Dad’s in the MyLiferaft team!)
Hopefully the sunshine that we experienced in June and July will continue into the school holidays….! There have been lots of Top Tips on the television, radio and in newspapers about keeping cool, however here are a few more from the team here:
- Half fill children’s water bottles with ice-cubes so they stay cooler for longer
- Use freezer ice sachets in picnic and packed lunches to keep food cold if freezer blocks are too large
- Keep sun-tan and after-sun in the fridge (this is a favourite of the team!)
- Join your children in the paddling pool, even if you just dip your feet in! The water can also be used for watering plants, so you are even recycling as well as staying safe!
- Fill a hot water bottle……wait for it……….with ice cubes & cold water!
Other Activity Resources
MyLiferaft is a way to stay on top of all the information that comes with caring for your child – and share it with the people who need it. It’s a secure place online where you can keep and update all the details about your child’s health, care and well-being. Using a tablet, laptop or phone, you can keep your care network up to date, on screen or on paper. You decide who gets what information and when.
MyLiferaft was created by technology entrepreneur Nicola Murgatroyd. Her eldest daughter had complex special needs and Nicola faced real problems managing her care effectively. “My personal experiences gave me a first-hand insight into the problems and challenges faced by parents in caring roles. I realised that gaps in knowledge between parents, carers, education and medical professionals became huge issues, and wished there was something I could use to hold everything we as a family knew in one place. Advances in technology mean that there are now ways to make life easier for everyone, whatever their circumstances, and that’s what we have created with MyLiferaft – an online tool to manage all aspects of modern day living.”
To try a MyLiferaft Premium Account for FREE, click here