Are you a Parent Carer?
- Are you the parent of a disabled child?
- Are you fed up with the amount of information you have to repeat to health care professionals, therapists, teachers, friends and family?
- Do you wish that all the information about your child was held in one central and secure location?
Created by a mother who answered Yes to all of the above questions, MyLiferaft came from her experiences as a parent-carer and the challenges she and her daughter faced:
- disparate information being held in different places
- constant repetition of information
- not having all health, care and well-being in one place that was accessible 24/7
- lack of transparency between all those within the care-circle
If the challenges above sound familiar and resonate with you, then MyLiferaft could help you care and support your child.
Nicola & Faith’s Story
The founder of MyLiferaft is Nicola Murgatroyd. Her daughter Faith had Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus so Nicola found herself in the role of a parent carer. Together they faced an uphill struggle managing Faith`s different care needs. Not one to sit around grumbling about this, Nicola created MyLiferaft for the benefit of everyone caring, or being cared for.
`My personal experiences gave me a first-hand insight into the problems and challenges faced by people who live with a long-term condition. I realised that gaps in shared information across health and social care existed. However, there are ways to make life easier for everyone whatever their circumstances, and that`s what we have created with MyLiferaft – a tool which helps you to let others know what you want`.
Read more about Nicola and her daughter Faith in My Secret Life.
What is MyLiferaft
MyLiferaft is a free resource which gives a parent of a disabled child, and those who care for them, one central online place where they can add, manage and share information about health, care and well-being. Using MyLiferaft reduces the need for repetition and explanation every time someone new comes in to the care circle, helps improve consistency and is truly centered around the person and their needs.
Other benefits of MyLiferaft include:
- Telling members of your child’s care circle best way to interact you’re your child to reduce levels of stress
- Let others know how to support you and your child i.e. what are their likes and dislikes
- Set reminders so you worry less about forgetting appointments or your child taking their medication
- Try keeping track of your child’s mood so you can spot trends
- Keep a record of what works well for you and your child and what doesn’t, so you can pass this on to others within the care circle
- Set yourself and your child some goals and track how you are getting on with achieving them
- Share your goals with others so they can help you reach them
- Keep a record of meetings/consultations you have with professionals and write down what was discussed so you can refer back to it at any time or share it with others in your child’s care circle
- Share information with others e.g. doctors, family friends, social workers, therapists, teachers etc
Try our Free Account now to discover the many ways in which MyLiferaft can help support those with a learning disability and their care-circle. If you are caring for someone you can set up and manage an account for them which allows both you and them to be fully involved i.e. filling in information together can be a great way to get a conversation going.
At MyLiferaft, we aim to give you everything you need in once place and this includes where to go for advice, information and support. Our extensive list of resources has a specific section for Parent Carers with links through to organisations that support Learning Disabilities, Accessibility, Bullying, Going Back to School, Bereavement, Mental Health, Autism, Epilepsy, School Holiday ideas, Benefit information and various NHS information websites.
You can also be part of the MyLiferaft community and receive our regular newsletter which gives you up-to-date information on health, care & well-being. Sign-up here to join our ever growing network!
MyLiferaft recently won the Naidex Professional Award 2019 that recognises the innovation that has made an immeasurable contribution towards the healthcare, profession both now and into the future. (Naidex is Europe’s most comprehensive trade, professional & consumer event dedicated to independent living).